Monday, December 8, 2008

Weekend BMW Blues


Arrrgh... My pretty R1150RT has been plaguing me this summer with failures and leaks. The final drive developed a major issue, and though I repaired it with good old JB Weld, I figure it will let go in the middle of nowhere, so elected to replace the drive with a low-mileage used one. Changing it out this weekend, I found the rear u-joint to be bad. The kicker? The u-joints are not easily replaceable, they are staked in, and ... BMW only sells the complete driveshaft for $800+. OUCH... Honda, here I come. There are machines shops that will do the job, looks like about $250 or so. Oh, well, 4" of snow and all winter... The replacement drive came with a yoke (they usually do not), the U-joint is ok, but... doesn't fit my bike, it's for an older model.. Arrrrrghhhhhhh!!!!!

No comments: